Get a Gorgeous Gumline with Gum Reshaping
You have your brand new smile with beautiful teeth. Now what? You may realize your gums don’t look so great. An uneven gumline or “gummy” smile resulting from excess tissue can detract from your smile. Fortunately, our Boca Raton, FL and Coral Springs, FL orthodontists can use a laser to give you a gorgeous gumline, with the perfect balance between teeth and gums. For more information on gum reshaping treatment, call Smiles by Dr. W and Dr. R at (561) 327-6775.Dr. Rothstein on gummy smile treatment Read Transcript
We have a soft tissue laser, and it sounds crazy, people freak out. They hear “laser” and they think, “Bhwhat!“ But really, it looks like a pen, it’s a really small device and it's one of my favorite things to do because it really, we do it after treatment, and sometimes people's gums, as the teeth grow up, the gums don't kind of fall back enough. And so, what happens is it looks like you have this really small tooth but really, that tooth's a normal tooth and it's just being kind of covered. It's like you're laying in bed, your head just sticking out of the covers, and you just need to pull the covers down a little bit. And so, using the laser in about 10 minutes at the end of treatment, what we can do is re-contour the gums, depending on the case, and it's like an instant—the patients can't even believe what they see.
And what's really cool is that there's really no bleeding. It's minimal discomfort, and it's a really cool procedure. And we can also use the laser for a few other procedures to kind of help us move things along in treatment. When a tooth is being a little stubborn and it doesn't want to come through the gums, instead of waiting six months, we can make a little window. Takes about two minutes to do and it saves us about six months of treatment time sometimes. So, really, we call it like, a value added thing. Like, it's something that we can offer that can really help patients and make a dramatic impact on their treatment experience.
Lasers Make Gum Reshaping Quick and Comfortable
Our Boca Raton, FL and Coral Springs, FL orthodontists, Dr. Peter Wohlgemuth or Dr. Ira Rothstein will correct your uneven gumline or gummy smile with a dental laser. Before the advent of laser treatment, a scalpel was the usual tool for reshaping gums. Lasers offer many advantages, including:
- Practically painless. Lasers remove tissue quickly and cleanly, causing only minor discomfort. With local anesthesia, you likely won’t feel a thing. Your gums may be a bit tender afterward.
- Reduce chance of infection. Lasers cauterize tissue as our orthodontists work, so there will be very little bleeding and a much lower chance of infection occurring as you heal.
- Speed up the process. Both the gum reshaping process itself and the healing period that follows are much quicker when a laser is used.
Both of our dentists, Dr. Peter Wohlgemuth or Dr. Ira Rothsteinare are active members of professional organizations like American Association of Orthodontists, Florida Association of Orthodontists and American Dental Association.
We Use Other Dental Technology for Your Care
Lasers aren’t the only high-tech tools we use in our Boca Raton, FL and Coral Springs, FL orthodontist offices. Others include:
- 3D imaging, which gives us a much more comprehensive view of your mouth than traditional X-rays.
- iTero® Intraoral Scanners, which let us use digital images instead of messy molding material to take impressions of your teeth.
- suresmile®, a system for creating an orthodontics treatment plan using sophisticated software. Not only that, but a robot shapes the wires used in your treatment, which results in precise straightening and a shorter treatment time.
To find out more about gum reshaping or other treatments, call Smiles by Dr. W and Dr. R at (561) 327-6775 or reach out to us with our online form.
In addition to Boca Raton, FL and Coral Springs, FL, we serve the surrounding communities of Parkland, FL; Delray Beach, FL; and Boynton Beach, FL.