Traditional Braces: A Proven Option for Straightening Teeth
As a parent, you want to give your child the advantage of a straight smile and well-aligned bite, but you worry about the months they’ll spend wearing braces. You want wearing braces to be a positive experience for them. And you feel the same way if you’re the one who needs braces.
Well, it's my second go-around with braces. I had braces as a kid. I was a really bad patient, did everything that I shouldn’t: chewed on apples and gum and corn and all those things that pop your braces off, and then never wore my retainer. As a result, I had spaces in my teeth and I really wasn't happy with my smile. It wasn't top of my list of things to fix, but once I realized that it would make a difference in just how I felt, I decided to go forward with it and I'm very, very glad that I did. I left with top and bottom retainers that you have to wear every single night and if you don't wear it, you're going to not have the result that you wish. Then, you come back for periodic checkups and they make sure that the retainer's still fitting properly, your teeth haven't shifted, and that there's nothing else that they need to do to adjust to make sure that you remain in the perfect condition you were when you left.
Definitely more confident. I'm not the person that says, “Don't take a picture with me,“ because I know that my smile is going to be pretty. No, I just feel better about myself, so it was a really good decision to have the braces. It's not a long time in your life, so where braces may be ... you may be a little bit self-conscious, particularly as an adult that you're wearing braces, the end results definitely outweighs anything that you go through, through the entire time. Again, it's relatively painless and you come out with a great result. If having a better smile and being more confident is what you're aiming for, then I would say absolutely come here.
Among the factors our orthodontists will consider in their evaluation:
- Whether the jaw is still growing
- Condition of teeth and gums
- Alignment of the bite
For more information on our quality orthodontics options, including traditional braces, call Smiles by Dr. W and Dr. R at (561) 327-6775.
Traditional Braces Are Better Than Before
If your idea of traditional metal braces is based on the ones worn by your childhood friends, the good news is they’ve come a long way since then. Braces are more comfortable and effective than ever before thanks to improvements like:
- Smaller brackets and wires
- Heat-activated wires that move your teeth as they react to your body heat
- Metals that last longer and require fewer adjustments
In many cases, traditional braces are the best choice for you or your child. Compared to newer options for straightening teeth, they are:
- More affordable
- More proven, with longer records of success
- More flexible, with the ability to solve a broad range of orthodontic problems
- Appropriate for all ages
- Customizable, with the option of choosing different colors for brackets and/or elastic ties
Answering Your FAQs About Traditional Braces
We’re happy to answer any questions you have about traditional braces during your complimentary consultation with our Boca Raton, FL orthodontist. But in the meantime, we’ve provided answers here for some of the questions we hear most often:
- How long will I wear braces? Because every smile responds differently to treatment, the amount of time spent in braces will vary. Treatment times typically take between six and 30 months. Most standard treatments require about 22 months of wearing braces.
- Do braces hurt? Braces don’t usually hurt. You may, however, experience minor discomfort for a few days as your teeth, gums, cheeks, and mouth get used to your new braces.
- Should I brush my teeth more often if I have braces? We recommend brushing at least three times a day to keep your teeth, gums, and mouth healthy and clean. Brushing will help remove any food that gets caught between your braces. You should also floss daily to get in between your braces where your brush can’t reach. We’re happy to show you how to properly clean your teeth once your braces are in place.
To schedule a complimentary consultation at Smiles by Dr. W and Dr. R, call (561) 327-6775 or use our online form. We’ve got offices in Boca Raton, FL and Coral Springs, FL. Both of our dentists are active members of professional organizations like American Association of Orthodontists, Florida Association of Orthodontists and American Dental Association, to name a few.